Christmas isn't Christmas without fruitcake! Our version has all of the spicy, rich, fruity flavor of your great-grandmother's recipe, plus fiber from All-Bran® cereal. Serve it with a glaze of vanilla sauce or scoop of ice cream. And don't forget to save a slice for Santa!
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 3 hour 50 minutes
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 container (8 oz.) candied cherries, halved
- 1 container (8 oz.) chopped candied mixed fruit
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal Buy Now
- 1 1/4 cups apricot nectar, divided
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
1. In medium mixing bowl, combine raisins, dates, cherries, mixed fruit and walnuts. Set aside.
2. Stir together flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon. Add 1/4 cup flour mixture to fruit, mixing to coat fruit. Set remaining aside.
3. In small bowl, combine cereal and 1 cup of the apricot nectar. Let stand about 2 minutes or until cereal softens.
4. In large electric mixer bowl, beat together sugar, margarine and egg whites until smooth. Mix in cereal mixture, then flour and spice mixture, thoroughly combining. Stir in fruits. Spread evenly in 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray and waxed paper lined.
5. Bake at 300°F about 2 hours, 10 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan. Combine remaining apricot nectar and corn syrup. Dip cheesecloth in mixture and wrap fruitcake with dampened cloth. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and foil. Refrigerate several days up to 1 month. Freeze, if stored over 1 month.
Yield: 16 slices