Mashed potatoes make this delicious yeast bread especially moist and tender. It is exceptionally good toasted and served as an accompaniment to a rich homemade soup or stew. Try it warm from the oven, spread with fresh creamery butter, or make it into an amazing grilled cheese sandwich, with melted Gruyère and sliced tomatoes. Yum!
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 6 hour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup instant mashed potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1 compressed cake yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 3 tablespoons shortening, melted
- 1 1/2 cups Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
1. Heat milk to scalding. Stir in potatoes and water. Pour into large mixing bowl. Cool to lukewarm.
2. Crumble yeast and stir into potato mixture. Let stand about 10 minutes until thickened. Stir in sugar, salt, shortening and
3. Turn dough out on lightly floured board and knead about 10 minutes or until smooth and satiny.
4. Place dough in warm bowl coated with cooking spray. Spray surface with cooking spray. Cover lightly and let rise in warm place until double in bulk.
5. Punch dough down in the center. Turn the edges in toward the center and turn over so that the smooth side is on top. Spray surface with cooking spray. Cover and let rise again until double in bulk.
6. Turn out on board, divide in two equal portions and mold into balls. Let rest, covered, for 10 minutes.
7. Shape and place in two 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Brush tops with additional melted shortening, if desired. Cover and let rise until double in bulk.
8. Bake at 350°F about 55 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 10 minutes in pans. Remove from pans and cool on wire racks. Wrap in plastic wrap to store.
Cut each loaf into 12 slices. Serve 2 slices per serving.