White Beans, Sun-dried Tomatoes and Basil Bites
Prep Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Total Time: 26 hour 20 minutes
- 1/2 cup dry marrow beans or cannellini beans
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced, divided
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons oil-packed, sun-dried, tomatoes, drained and cut into julienne strips
- Lemon juice
- Finely ground sea salt
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 ounces ricotta salata cheese, shredded
1. Rinse beans. In small saucepan combine beans and enough water to fill pan 1-inch higher than beans. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour.
2. Drain and rinse beans. In same saucepan combine beans and enough water to completely cover. Stir in 2 tablespoons of oil, half of garlic and bay leaf. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered for 1 hour. Remove from heat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 days.
3. In large skillet combine remaining 2 tablespoons oil and remaining garlic. Cook and stir over medium heat until garlic turns golden. Stir in red pepper. Cook for 10 seconds. Stir in basil. Cook and stir until basil wilts. Stir in tomatoes. Cook and stir about 1 minute more. Season to taste with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
4. Drain beans, reserving liquid. Stir into tomato mixture in skillett. Add enough reserved bean liquid to make of desired consistency.
5. Top crackers with bean mixture. Sprinkle cheese on top.