Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie
This classic comfort food is a great way to warm up on a blustery winter's day. And since a single serving offers 28% of your fiber RDA, 50% of your vitamin A, and 60% of your vitamin C, as well as iron, calcium and 10 grams of protein, it's really hard to go wrong with this delicious dish. It's sure to be a family favorite!
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 3 medium potatoes (about 1 1/4 lb. total)
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (8 oz. each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 2 cups Kellogg's® All-Bran® Complete® Wheat Flakes cereal Buy Now
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes with jalapeno peppers
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
1. Peel and quarter potatoes. In large saucepan bring potatoes and enough water to just cover potatoes to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender. Drain. Mash together potatoes, sour cream and garlic salt. Stir in cheese. Set aside.
2. In large saucepan cook onion, carrots and bell pepper in oil until onion is tender. Stir in kidney beans, tomato sauce, KELLOGG'S COMPLETE ALL-BRAN WHEAT BRAN FLAKES cereal, undrained tomatoes, corn and chili powder. Cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat until heated through.
3. Pour bean mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon potatoes in twelve mounds on top of bean mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 375°F about 25 minutes or until bean mixture is bubbly.