Adding a fresh twist to the same old sandwich is as simple as trying a new bread! Fresh chopped veggies and whole-wheat flour give this lovely loaf a powerful punch of flavor and a nutritious profile. It's a great base for chicken or egg salad, or for a mozzarella-and-pesto panini.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 3 hour 20 minutes
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/4 cups warm water (110º to 115ºF)
- 1 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter, softened
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon dill weed
- 1 tablespoon skim milk
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped white onions
1. Stir together flours, dry milk and salt. Set aside.
2. In large electric mixer bowl, combine yeast, sugar and water. Stir in
margarine and 1/2 of flour mixture. Beat at medium speed 2 minutes or about
200 strokes by hand. Mix in green onions, celery and dill weed. Stir in remaining
flour mixture by hand to form stiff, sticky dough. Cover lightly. Let rise in warm place
until double in volume (about 1 hour).
3. Stir down dough to original volume. Spoon into 2-quart round casserole dish
coated with cooking spray or 9 x 5 x3 -inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Brush
surface with milk and sprinkle evenly with white onions.
4. Bake at 350°F about 55 minutes or until loaf is golden brown and sounds
hollow when lightly tapped. Remove from dish and cool completely on wire rack.