Warm croquettes with a creamy tartar sauce.
Prep Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 2 hour 50 minutes
- 2 cans (7 oz.) tuna, drained and flaked
- 2 1/2 cups Sunshine® Krispy® Original crackers Buy Now
- 2 1/2 cups Keebler® Zesta® Original crackers Buy Now
- 1 teaspoon grated onion
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs separated
- 1 can (10 1/2 oz.) cream of celery soup
- 1/2 soup can of milk
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1. Flake tuna very fine. In a medium bowl, combine flaked tuna, 1 1/2 cups of the crackers crumbs, grated onion, lemon rind and salt.
2. In a small saucepan, heat butter or margarine. Stir in the combined flour and milk. Cook, stirring, over low heat until mixture boils and is very thick. Remove from heat.
3. Beat in egg yolks. Pour sauce into tuna mixture. Blend and chill for at least 2 hours.
4. Heat fat or oil (enough to make 2 inches of fat in a large skillet) to 390°F mark on deep fat thermometer, or until hot enough to
brown a 1-inch cube of bread in 20 seconds.
5. Shape tuna mixture into 8 cones or balls. Beat egg whites until frothy. Dip croquettes into remaining crumbs, then into egg whites, then into crumbs again. Fry until golden brown (about 2 minutes).
6. To make walnut sauce for the croquettes, combine 1 can of soup, milk and walnuts. Stir over low heat until mixture is blended.