Tossed Salad with Italian Croutons
Substitute any of your favorite salad vegetables, such as chopped fresh broccoli, slivered jicama, slivered turnip or fresh pea pods, for the carrot, cucumber or bell pepper in this side-dish salad
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups Kellogg's® Special K® Cereal Original
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 8 cups torn romaine lettuce or torn leaf lettuce
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium green, red or yellow bell pepper, cut into strips (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 medium cucumber, seeded and coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium carrots, shredded (about 2/3 cup)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2/3 cup fat-free Italian vinaigrette salad dressing
1. For croutons, in small bowl stir together Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, onion powder and pepper. Set aside.
2. In quart-size, plastic storage bag place cereal. Pour oil over cereal. Seal bag. Gently toss to coat cereal. Add cheese mixture. Seal bag. Toss again to coat cereal. Use within 2 hours.
3. For salad, in large bowl toss together lettuce, tomatoes, bell pepper, cucumber, carrots and onion. Drizzle with salad dressing. Toss to coat. Arrange on individual salad plates. Sprinkle with cereal mixture.