Sweet Potato-Sausage Skillet with Pilaf
Wow! This amazingly yummy one-dish meal offers a whopping 220% of your RDA of vitamin A! Add to that 37% of your fiber RDA and 45% of your vitamin C per serving, and you've got a nutritional superstar in your skillet. But it's the rich, satisfying sweet potatoes and savory sausage that will have everyone asking for more!
Prep Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 2/3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup regular brown rice
- 1 teaspoon caraway or fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1 small onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1/2 pound extra lean smoked turkey sausage, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium cooking apple, cored and cut into thin wedges
- 3/4 cup sweet and sour sauce
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 1/2 cups Kellogg's® All-Bran® Complete® Wheat Flakes cereal Buy Now
1. In large saucepan combine broth and garlic. Bring to boiling. Stir in rice. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 45 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in large skillet cook seeds over medium heat for 30 seconds or until fragrant, shaking skillet occasionally.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add butter to skillet. Cook and stir until melted. Stir in sweet potatoes and onion. Cook, covered, about 10 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently.
4. Stir in sausage, apple and sweet and sour sauce. Cook and stir about 4 minutes or until heated through. Remove from heat. Stir in spinach.
5. Before serving stir together hot rice and KELLOGG'S ALL-BRAN COMPLETE WHEAT FLAKES cereal. Serve sausage mixture over rice mixture.