Sweet Chocolate Cake
Happy birthday to you! Buttermilk lends a pleasant tang and All-Bran® cereal adds an unexpected boost of fiber to this stunning three-layer German Chocolate cake. Serve it with traditional coconut-pecan frosting for an old-fashioned favorite that will soon become your most frequently requested birthday treat.
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 2 hour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 bar (4 oz.) sweet cooking chocolate
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- or 1 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Bran Buds® cereal Buy Now
- 1 cup margarine or butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
1. Combine water and chocolate in small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate melts. Set aside to cool.
2. Stir together flour, soda, salt and KELLOGG'S ALL-BRAN cereal. Set aside.
3. In large mixing bowl, beat the 1 cup margarine and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Add the 4 egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add chocolate mixture and vanilla. Mix well. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, mixing until combined after each addition.
4. In small mixing bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold into batter. Pour evenly into three 8-inch round cake pans coated with cooking spray and floured.
5. Bake at 350° F about 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
6. While cake bakes, make frosting. Combine evaporated milk, the 1 cup sugar, the 3 egg yolks, the 1/2 cup margarine and vanilla in small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat. Stir in coconut and pecans. Cool, stirring occasionally, until thick enough to spread. Spread between layers and on top and sides of cake.