Stuffed Eggplant Italiano
Mushrooms, green pepper and a yummy blend of Italian cheeses make this easy stuffed eggplant an elegant and flavorful side dish. Serve it with grilled chicken breasts and crusty Italian bread for fresh and healthful meal.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 1 medium eggplant (about 1 lb.)
- 1/3 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- 1 cup sliced, fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1/3 cup shredded, part-skim Mozzarella cheese
1. Cut eggplant in half, lengthwise. Place halves, cut-side down, in shallow baking pan.
2. Bake at 350° F about 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Cool slightly. Scoop out pulp, leaving 3/8-inch shell. Place shells, cut-side up, in baking pan. Coarsely chop pulp. Combine with remaining ingredients except Mozzarella cheese. Fill eggplant shells,
pressing firmly. Cover with foil. Pierce foil in several places to allow steam to escape.
3. Bake about 40 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove foil and sprinkle with Mozzarella cheese. Bake uncovered about 2 minutes longer or until cheese melts. Cut each half into 2 pieces to serve.
1. Cut eggplant in half, lengthwise. Scoop out raw pulp, leaving 3/8-inch shell. Place shells, cut-side up, in shallow glass baking dish. Set aside.
2. Coarsely chop pulp. Combine with remaining ingredients except Parmesan and Mozzarella cheeses in glass mixing bowl. Cover loosely.
3. Microwave at HIGH 4 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Fill eggplant shells with vegetable mixture, pressing lightly. Cover loosely. Microwave at HIGH 6 minutes or until eggplant shell is tender. Remove cover.
Sprinkle with Mozzarella cheese. Microwave at HIGH 1 minute or until cheese melts.
Microwave cooking times may vary.