Crispy Kellogg's Corn Flakes® cereal tops this vegetarian, cheese-and-spinach casserole. Serve it as a side dish with roasted chicken or on its own as a main dish.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 packages (10 oz. each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese, drained
- 1 cup (4 oz.) crumbled feta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups Kellogg's Corn Flakes® cereal
- 1/2 cup refrigerated egg substitute*
- 1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
1. In small saucepan cook onion and garlic in olive oil until tender.
2. Place spinach in colander. Firmly press with back of spoon to remove excess moisture. In medium bowl stir together onion mixture, spinach, carrot, cottage cheese, feta cheese, 1/2 cup of crushed cereal, egg substitute, Parmesan cheese, oregano and pepper.
3. Spoon into 1 1/2-quart casserole coated with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup cereal over spinach mixture. Bake at 350°F for 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
NOTE: Yields 6 side-dish servings or 4 main-dish servings.
*If desired, substitute 2 lightly beaten eggs for the egg substitute.