Spinach and Cheese Shells
This simple, kid-favorite recipe offers all of the deliciousness of spinach lasagna, with a quarter of the work. Plus, a single serving offers 140% of your daily recommended intake for vitamin A, 25% of your daily calcium, and 24% of your fiber, all in a hearty vegetarian main dish. What more could you ask for?
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- 1 package (8 oz.) jumbo pasta shells (24-26 shells)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese (4 oz.)
- 1 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided (1 oz.)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 jar (24 oz.) marinara sauce (2 1/2 cups)
1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain. Rinse with cold water. Drain well.
2. Meanwhile, in medium bowl stir together egg whites, spinach, cottage cheese, feta cheese, KELLOGG’S ALL-BRAN ORIGINAL cereal, 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese, oregano, pepper and garlic. Spoon cheese mixture into shells.
3. In 12 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish or 2-quart shallow casserole coated with cooking spray arrange shells, cheese side up. Sprinkle carrots on top. Pour marinara sauce over all. Tightly cover with foil.
4. Bake, covered, at 350º F for 55 minutes or until heated through. Remove foil. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350º F for 10 minutes more. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.