Southern Sweet Potato Muffins
Just one of these muffins offers 80% of your RDA for vitamin A - that's the goodness of sweet potatoes. Add to that a healthy boost of fiber from the goodness of All-Bran® cereal, and you're on your way to a surprisingly nutritious snack. These tasty gems are great picnic fare - just the right accompaniment to savory grilled chicken. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup shredded, peeled, raw sweet potato
1. Combine the 1/4 cup flour and brown sugar. Using pastry blender, cut in margarine
until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside for topping.
2. Stir together flours, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt and spices. Set aside.
3. In large mixing bowl, combine KELLOGG'S ALL-BRAN cereal and apple juice. Let
stand about 2 minutes or until cereal softens. Add egg whites and oil. Beat well. Stir
in sweet potato. Add flour mixture, stirring only until combined. Portion evenly into
twelve 2 1/2-inch muffin-pan cups coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle muffins with
5. Bake at 400° F about 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.