Sour Cream Apple Torte
When you want to serve an easy, but decadent dessert, try this torte that bakes fresh apple slices in a sour cream custard.
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups sliced, peeled apples
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups Kellogg's Corn Flakes® cereal Buy Now
- or 1/2 cup Kellogg's® Corn Flake Crumbs Buy Now
- 1/2 cup chopped, blanched almonds
1. Cook apples in margarine, in covered fry pan until tender, stirring occasionally.
2. In medium mixing bowl, combine the 1/2 cup sugar, sour cream, egg yolks, flour,
lemon peel and lemon juice. Pour over apples. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly
until mixture thickens. Remove from heat. Cool.
3. Beat egg whites with salt until stiff, but not dry. Fold into prepared custard mixture.
4. In small mixing bowl, combine the 1/3 cup sugar, cinnamon, KELLOGG'S CORN
FLAKES cereal and almonds. Spread half of crumbs mixture in bottom of
8 x 8 x 2-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray. Pour in filling. Cover with
remaining crumbs mixture.
5. Bake at 325° F about 45 minutes. Cut into squares and serve warm or cold, with
whipped topping or ice cream, if desired.