Smoky Bacon and Bran Quick Bread
Bits of savory veggie bacon along with sweet onion and apple provide the perfect flavor accent for this cornmeal and bran quick bread.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped, unpeeled apple (about 1 small apple)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
MorningStar Farms®Veggie Bacon Strips (about 6 slices) Buy Now
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
Kellogg’s® All-Bran® Bran Buds®cereal Buy Now
- 1/3 cup white wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
1. For filling, in large skillet heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium heat. Add apple, onion and MORNINGSTAR FARMS Veggie Bacon Strips. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes or until apple and onion are soft and veggie bacon strips begin to brown. Remove from heat. Set aside.
2. For bread, in food processor bowl combine cornmeal, KELLOGG’S ALL-BRAN BRAN BUDS cereal, wheat flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Pulse about 20 seconds or until cereal is ground. Transfer mixture to medium bowl.
3. In another medium bowl whisk eggs just until combined. Stir in buttermilk, honey and 1/4 cup vegetable oil. Add to flour mixture, stirring until just combined. Fold in half of the apple-onion mixture.
4. Spread batter in 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with the remaining apple-onion mixture. Bake at 400° F for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes. Cut into squares. Serve warm.