Rio Grande Rice-Pepper Pilaf
Lift brown rice pilaf out of its ho-hum doldrums with skillet-roasted corn, brightly-colored bell peppers, ancho chile powder and a hint of ground cinnamon. This versatile recipe works with nearly any cooked grain and is successful with or without the addition of cooked meat or poultry.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 2 medium red, green, orange or yellow bell peppers, seeded and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 package (8.8 oz.) microwave-ready whole grain brown rice; 2 cups frozen brown rice, thawed; 2 cups chilled, cooked brown rice; 2 cups chilled, cooked quinoa; or 2 cups chilled, cooked barley
- 1/2 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1. In large nonstick skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Stir in corn. Cook and stir about 2 minutes or until corn begins to brown. Reduce heat to medium. Stir in bell peppers, jalapeño pepper and garlic. Cook, covered, for 2 minutes.
2. Stir in cumin, ancho chile powder, salt and cinnamon. Cook and stir about 1 minute more or until spices are fragrant.
3. Stir in rice and KELLOGG’S ALL-BRAN Original cereal. Drizzle with broth. Cook, covered, about 2 minutes or until heated through. Stir. Serve warm.