Rice Krispies Treats® Icy Igloo
This friendly igloo, made from Kellogg's® Rice Krispies Treats® and decorated with M&M'S® brand chocolate candies, garners smiles from holiday guests.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 package (10 oz., about 40) JET-PUFFED Marshmallows
- 4 cups JET-PUFFED Miniature Marshmallows
- 6 cups Kellogg's® Rice Krispies® cereal
- 6 cups Kellogg's® Cocoa Krispies® cereal Buy Now
- Canned chocolate frosting
- Canned vanilla frosting
- Food coloring
- M&M'S® brand chocolate candies
1. In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
2. Add KELLOGG’S RICE KRISPIES cereal. Stir until well coated.
3. Using buttered spatula or wax paper evenly press mixture into 15 x 10 x 1-inch pan lined with foil and coated with cooking spray. Cool completely.
4. Wrap outside of 5- to 7-inch diameter bowl with foil or plastic wrap. Lightly coat with cooking spray. Invert bowl on serving plate. Set aside.
5. Use foil to remove cereal mixture from pan. Cut several 10 x 1 1/4-inch strips from about two-thirds of the cereal mixture. Wrap bowl sides with cereal strips, cutting strips to fit and pressing strips together. Cut circle big enough to cover igloo top from remaining cereal mixture. Press onto strips on sides of bowl. Cut two inverted U-shape pieces from cereal mixture. Stack together and press onto side of igloo for entrance tunnel. Use chocolate frosting to make door at end of entrance tunnel.
6. Decorate with vanilla frosting and M&M'S® brand chocolate candies. For snow, in small microwave bowl place about 1/2 cup vanilla frosting. Microwave on high about 10 seconds or just until softened. Spoon over igloo roof. Let stand until frosting is firm. Remove bowl and foil or plastic wrap just before serving. Best if served the same day.
For best results, use fresh marshmallows.
1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow crème can be substituted for marshmallows.
Diet, reduced calorie or tub margarine is not recommended.