Rhubarb Bran Muffins
Who needs cupcakes? The sweet-tart flavor of fresh rhubarb makes these tasty muffins shine. With orange peel, cinnamon and the tangy taste of buttermilk, these unusual muffins are unusually good. Bake them in colorful muffin cups and take them along on your next picnic − they're a great portable dessert!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 3 cups Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup chopped rhubarb
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 recipe Streusel Topping
1. In a medium bowl stir together KELLOGG'S ALL-BRAN ORIGINAL cereal and water; set aside.
2. Toss 1 tablespoon of the flour with rhubarb. In a medium bowl combine remaining flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, orange peel, baking soda, and cinnamon. In a large bowl whisk together buttermilk, oil, and eggs; stir in cereal mixture, flour mixture, and rhubarb.
3. Spoon batter into 24 2 1/2-inch muffin pan cups. Sprinkle batter with Streusel Topping. Bake at 400ºF for 20 to 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 5 minutes; remove from pan. Drizzle with your favorite icing, if desired.
Streusel Topping: In a medium bowl stir together 2/3 cup packed brown sugar and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour. Cut in 1/4 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 1/2 cup chopped pecans, if desired.