Who knew chili could be fancy? This recipe starts with hand-trimmed sirloin steak, slow-simmered with pungent spices and flavorful vegetables. Garnish with fresh cilantro and a dollop of sour cream for a gourmet version of the cowboy favorite.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hour
- 2 pounds sirloin steak, 1/2 inch thick
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 bay bay leaves
- 1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can (16 oz) chili beans
- 1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies
- 1 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
1. Trim all visible fat from meat. Cut into 1/2-inch cubes. In large, heavy saucepan or
Dutch oven, heat oil. Brown meat, onions and garlic over medium heat, stirring
frequently. Add beef broth, sugar, oregano, cumin, chili powder, bay leaves, tomatoes
and tomato sauce. Cover and simmer over low heat 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
2. Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer 30 minutes longer. Remove bay leaves
and serve hot.