These traditional treats, which hail originally from Scotland, are great for breakfast or as a delicious accompaniment to afternoon tea. Studded with juicy raisins and enriched with All-Bran® cereal, these quick breads are best served warm, with butter, clotted cream and fruit preserves.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- 1/3 cup margarine or butter
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
1. Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and
Using pastry blender cut in margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir
in raisins. Set aside.
2. In large mixing bowl, beat egg white slightly. Remove 1 tablespoon egg white.
Beat remaining egg slightly in measuring cup, adding milk to measure 3/4 cup.
Pour back into mixing bowl. Add flour mixture, stirring only until combined. Turn
dough out on lightly floured board and knead gently about 5 times. Roll out into
12 x 6-inch rectangle. Cut into 16 triangles.
3. Beat reserved egg white with water. Brush over tops of scones. Sprinkle with
sugar. Place on baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
4. Bake at 425° F about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot accompanied
by butter and preserves, if desired.