Pumpkin Fig Cake
Are you longing for a taste of the exotic East? You'll find it in this gorgeous cake. The moist pumpkin batter is richly flavored with cinnamon, cloves, allspice and ginger, and studded with plump figs and crunchy almonds. Bake it on a dreary midwinter day ? and be reminded how good the simplest pleasures can be.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 2 hour 20 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 2 eggs
- 1 can (16 oz., 2 cups) pumpkin
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- 3/4 cup toasted, chopped almonds
- 1 cup finely cut mission figs
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1/4 cup toasted, sliced almonds
1. Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, salt and spices. Set aside.
2. In large mixing bowl, beat eggs until foamy. Add pumpkin, oil and KELLOGG'S ALL-BRAN cereal. Beat well. Stir in the 3/4 cup almonds and figs. Add flour mixture, mixing only until combined. Spread evenly in 12-cup baking mold coated with cooking spray or 10 x 4-inch tube pan coated with cooking spray.
3. Bake at 350°F about 45 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
4. To make glaze, combine powdered sugar and hot water until smooth. Drizzle over cake. Sprinkle with the 1/4 cup sliced almonds.
Yield: 1 cake, 20 slices