This lemon-glazed yellow cake relies on low-fat sour cream and egg whites for a light profile and a fresh taste. Serve it with fresh strawberries or raspberries and a scoop of vanilla frozen yogurt or lemon sorbet for a refreshing and simple dessert.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 2 hour 20 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup margarine or butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- 3/4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
1. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
2. In large electric mixer bowl, beat together margarine and granulated sugar. Add egg whites and vanilla. Beat well.
3. Combine KELLOGG'S ALL-BRAN cereal and sour cream. Let stand about 5 minutes or until cereal softens. Add alternately to margarine mixture, starting and ending with the flour mixture. Beat well after each addition. Pour into 9 x 5 x 3-inch pan coated with cooking spray.
4. Bake at 325° F about 55 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Let cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan and place on wire rack.
5. To make Lemon Glaze, combine powdered sugar, lemon peel and juice until smooth. Drizzle over top of hot cake. Let cool completely. Store in airtight container.