Potato Wheat Bread
This just might be the best sandwich bread you've ever had. It has whole-wheat flour and All-Bran® cereal for a nutty flavor and a boost of nutritious fiber, potato flakes for a light and tender texture, and brown sugar for just the right amount of sweetness. Trust us − no matter what filling you nestle between two slices of this delicious bread, your sandwich will be a hit!
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 4 hour 30 minutes
- 1 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- 2/3 cup dry instant mashed potato flakes
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups scalded fat-free milk
- 1 package dry yeast
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups bread flour
1. In large electric mixer bowl, combine KELLOGG'S ALL-BRAN cereal, potato flakes,
sugar and salt. Add hot milk. Let stand about 5 minutes or until cereal softens. Mix in
yeast. Let stand 5 minutes longer.
2. Add egg whites, oil and whole wheat flour to cereal mixture. Beat on medium
speed 3 minutes. Using dough hooks on electric mixer, or by hand, knead in bread
flour. Continue kneading for 5 minutes or until smooth. Dough will be firm but sticky.
Place in large bowl coated with cooking spray. Spray surface of dough. Cover lightly.
Let rise in warm place until double in volume (about 1 1/2 hours).
3. Punch down dough. Shape into loaf and place in 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan coated with
cooking spray. Cover and let rise in warm place until double in volume.
4. Bake at 375° F about 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cover loosely with foil if top
browns too quickly. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.