Making your own pita bread is delicious, simple and fun - and a great way to get your kids involved in the kitchen. These yummy pocket breads are enriched with whole-wheat flour and All-Bran® cereal for an extra boost of fiber and whole grain goodness. Fill them with your favorite sandwich fixings and enjoy!
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cups warm water (110 - 115 degrees F)
- 1 1/2 cups Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
1. In large bowl of electric mixer, dissolve yeast in warm water, about 5 minutes.
Add KELLOGG'S ALL-BRAN cereal, mixing until combined. On low speed, beat
in 1 cup of the all-purpose flour, salt and oil. Beat on high speed 3 minutes
scraping sides of bowl.
2. Using dough hooks on mixer or by hand, mix in whole wheat flour. Continue
kneading with mixer on low speed or by hand until dough is smooth and elastic.
Add the remaining all-purpose flour, if needed, to make soft dough.
3. Divide dough into 12 portions. Roll each portion between floured hands into
a very smooth ball. Cover with plastic wrap or a damp cloth. Let rest 10 minutes.
4. On well floured surface, lightly roll one ball of dough at a time into 6-inch rounds,
turning dough over once. Do not stretch, puncture or crease dough. Keep unrolled
dough covered while rolling each dough piece. Place 2 rounds of dough at a time
on ungreased baking sheet.
5. Bake at 450°F about 4 minutes or until dough is puffed and slightly firm. Turn with
spatula. Continue baking about 2 minutes or until lightly brown. Repeat with
remaining dough. Cool. Cut in half and fill with vegetable or meat filling.