Overnight Coffee Cake
The perfect cake for weekend guests! This cranberry-ginger batter can be prepared the night before and baked fresh in the morning. Rich with sour cream and brown sugar, and freshened with tangy lemon peel, it's an elegant, indulgent and not-too-sweet treat that's worthy of the most formal brunch buffet.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 10 hour 30 minutes
- 1 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- 1 carton (8 oz.) sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, divided
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1. Stir together 1/2 cup KELLOGG'S ALL-BRAN ORIGINAL cereal and sour cream; set aside. In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon ginger, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar; beat well. Beat in eggs and cereal mixture. Add flour mixture; beat on low speed just until combined. Stir in 1 cup cranberries and lemon peel (batter will be thick). Spread batter into a greased and floured 9-inch springform pan. Cover; chill overnight.
3. About 15 minutes before baking, remove cake from refrigerator; sprinkle with remaining cranberries. Combine 1/2 cup cereal, brown sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon ginger; sprinkle over cake. Bake at 350ºF for 65 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes. Remove side of pan. Cool 30 minutes more. Serve warm.