Onion, Bacon and Swiss Tart
This rich and savory tart is a lovely addition to your next appetizer table, or a perfect dish for an al fresco springtime party. The slightly salty bacon-and-Swiss-cheese filling perfectly complements the slightly sweet and nutty All-Bran® cereal crust. A delicate and flavorful first course.
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 1 cup all-pupose flour
- 1 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Complete® Wheat Flakes cereal Buy Now
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter or margarine
- 4-5 tablespoons cold water
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, cut up (4 oz. total)
- 1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup (3 oz.) shredded Swiss or Gruyère cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1 small tomato, seeded and chopped
1. In small bowl combine flour, KELLOGG'S COMPLETE WHEAT BRAN FLAKES cereal and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle water, 1 tablespoon at a time, over crumb mixture, mixing until just moistened. Shape into a ball.
2. On lightly floured surface roll dough into 13-inch circle. Press onto bottom and up sides of 9- or 10-inch tart pan with removeable sides. Prick with a fork. Bake at 375°F about 18 minutes or until lightly browned.
3. Meanwhile, in large skillet cook bacon over medium heat until brown. Drain bacon on paper towels, reserving 1 tablespoon of the drippings in skillet. Add onion and sugar to skillet. Cook, covered, over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover. Cook and stir over medium heat about 10 minutes or until onion is golden brown.
4. In small mixing bowl beat cream cheese, Gruyï¿½re cheese, parsley, pepper and nutmeg until fluffy. Add egg. Beat until just combined. Gently stir in bacon and onions. Spread in crust. Bake at 375°F about 20 minutes or until filling is set. Let stand for 15 minutes.
5. Sprinkle with tomato. Cut into wedges. Serve warm.