Old Fashioned Crumb Cake
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup margarine or butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups chopped nuts, divided
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 2 tablespoons milk
1. In medium bowl stir together graham crumbs, flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2. In large mixing bowl beat 1 cup of brown sugar and 2/3 cup margarine or butter on medium speed of electric mixer until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and rum extract. Alternately add crumb mixture and 3/4 cup milk, beating until just combined after each addition.
3. Stir in 1 cup of nuts. Spread in 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 350° F for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool slightly.
4. Cut 1/4 cup margarine or butter into remaining brown sugar until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in remaining nuts, coconut and 2 tablespoons milk. Sprinkle over cake. Broil 4- to 5-inches from heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until topping begins to brown.