Muesli Pear Ginger Crisp
I was never a pie fan, but give me a warm fruit crisp anytime! I love mine made with pears, but apples or blueberries work well, too. Make sure the pears are ripe, but not too ripe, or they will release too much moisture and will cook up mushy. Keep the skin on the pear for the fiber and texture. My favorite part of a crisp is the topping and this one made with muesli makes the perfect crumbly mixture.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 4 medium ripe Bosc or D’Anjou pears, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups
- 1 1/2 cups
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, whole wheat pastry flour or white wheat flour
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons finely minced crystallized ginger
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1. Preheat the oven to 375° F. Coat a 2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a bowl combine the pears and orange juice. Spoon into the baking dish.
3. Combine the muesli, flour, brown sugar and ginger. Add the oil and butter. Mix well until combined. Sprinkle the topping over the pears.
4. Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until pears are tender. Cover with foil if the topping is browning too quickly.