Rich molasses, pungent nutmeg and the delicate tang of buttermilk add depth and flavor to these classic doughnuts. Enriched with All-Bran® cereal for an unexpected boost of fiber, they are a perfect treat for a late fall morning, served with a cup of hot coffee or fresh apple cider.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 1/4 cup light molasses
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons shortening, melted
1. Stir together flour, baking powder, soda, salt and nutmeg. Set aside.
2. Combine KELLOGG'S ALL-BRAN cereal, milk and molasses. Let stand
about 2 minutes or until cereal softens.
3. In large mixing bowl, beat eggs well, Add sugar gradually, beating until thick.
Stir in cereal mixture and cooled shortening. Add flour mixture, stirring only until
combined. Turn dough out on lightly floured board. Roll or pat to 1/2-inch
thickness. Cut with floured 3-inch doughnut cutter. Place on baking sheet and
let stand about 15 minutes.
4. Fry in 370° F oil until brown, turning only once. Drain on paper towels. Roll in
powdered sugar or granulated sugar, if desired.