Mini Calzones Recipe
These mini spinach-and-cheese-stuffed pockets are great as a sophisticated appetizer or a yummy, fun-to-eat snack. Enriched with All-Bran® cereal for a sweet, nutritious, nutty-tasting crust. Serve hot from the oven, with warm marinara sauce for dipping.
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees F)
- 1 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- 1 1/4 cups bread flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 oz. frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 4 oz. cream cheese spread with chive and onion
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Spaghetti sauce, warmed (optional)
1. In a small bowl combine yeast and warm water. Let stand 5 minutes; stir until dissolved. Stir in KELLOGG'S ALL-BRAN ORIGINAL cereal; let stand 5 minutes longer.
2. In a medium bowl combine flour and salt. Add cereal mixture and oil, stirring until combined (mixture may seem dry). Knead dough in bowl 2 minutes or until smooth. Cover with wax paper; let rest 10 minutes.
3. For filling, in a medium bowl stir together spinach, cream cheese, and Parmesan cheese; set aside.
4. On a lightly floured surface roll dough to 18 x 12-inch rectangle. Cut into twenty-four 3-inch squares. Spoon 1 founded filling onto each square. Brush edges of dough with milk. Lift a corner of each square and stretch dough over filling to opposite corner, making a triangle. Seal with a fork. Arrange on two 17 x 11 x 1-inch baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Prick tops with fork. Brush with milk.
5. Bake at 425ºF for 10 minutes or until golden. Serve warm with spaghetti sauce for dipping (if desired).
Pepperoni Variation: Prepare as directed, except omit filling ingredients. Instead, fill each calzone with 1 tablespoon shredded pizza blend cheese and coarsely chopped pepperoni (use 1/2 of a 3.5 ounce package).