Milk and Honey Graham Coconut Cake
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hour 15 minutes
- 2 1/4 cups
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons sifted powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup flaked coconut
1. In medium bowl stir together graham crumbs, flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2. In small mixing bowl beat egg whites on high speed of electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
3. In large mixing bowl beat granulated sugar and shortening on medium speed of electric mixer until combined. Add egg yolks and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until fluffy. Alternately add crumb mixture and buttermilk, beating until just combined after each addition.
4. Gently fold egg whites and 3/4 cup coconut into graham mixture. Spread in two 9 x 1 1/2-inch round baking pans coated with cooking spray and lined with parchment paper. Bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans. Cool completely.
5. In small mixing bowl beat cream, powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla on medium speed of electric mixer until soft peaks form. Frost between layers and top of cake with whipped cream. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup coconut, if desired. Store in refrigerator.