This isn’t classic lasagna. This version features Italian meatballs complemented by a chunky tomato sauce and the natural goodness of spinach and carrots.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 oz.) no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 dried whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 package (10 oz.) frozen cut spinach, thawed
- 3 egg whites, slightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-fat cottage cheese
- 3 medium carrots, shredded (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 recipe frozen Kellogg's® Special K® Italian Meatballs, thawed**
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (2 oz.)
- **see separate recipe for meatballs made from
- Kellogg's® Special K® Cereal Original
1. In large skillet coated with cooking spray cook onion and garlic over medium heat about 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, water, 1 teaspoon of the Italian seasoning and salt. Heat through. Set aside.
2. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain. Rinse with cold water. Drain well. Set aside.
3. Drain spinach in colander. Firmly press with back of spoon to remove excess moisture. In medium bowl stir together spinach, egg whites, cottage cheese, carrots, Parmesan cheese, pepper and the remaining 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning.
4. In 12 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray, layer half of the cooked noodles, trimming or overlapping as necessary to fit. Spoon half of the spinach mixture over top. Arrange half of the meatballs on spinach mixture. Top with half of the tomato mixture. Repeat layers of noodles, spinach mixture, meatballs and tomato mixture. Tightly cover with foil.
5. Bake at 375° F for 30 minutes. Remove foil. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 375° F for 5 to 10 minutes more or until heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.