Maple Coffee Cake Muffins
Maple sweetened cereal inside and on top of these muffins lends a coffee-cake-like flavor and texture.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. In small bowl combine 1/4 cup of the KELLOGG'S MINI WHEATS FROSTED MAPLE & BROWN SUGAR cereal, 1/4 cup of the flour and 1/4 cup of the brown sugar. Cut in butter until crumbly. Set aside.
2. In small bowl stir together remaining flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
3. In large bowl combine remaining cereal and buttermilk. Let stand about 5 minutes or until cereal softens. Add egg, oil and remaining brown sugar. Beat well. Add flour mixture, stirring until just combined. Portion half of the batter evenly into twelve 2 1/2-inch muffin-pan cups coated with cooking spray or lined with foil bake cups. Sprinkle wtih half of the cereal mixture. Portion remaining batter on top of cereal mixture in muffin-pan cups. Sprinkle with remaining cereal mixture.
4. Bake at 400°F about 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in muffin pan for 5 minutes. Remove from pan. Serve warm.