Maple Bean and Sausage Dinner
This sweet, savory, hearty one-dish meal is inspired by classic home-style baked beans. We've added rich maple syrup and yummy smoked turkey sausage for extra protein and a delicious autumnal flavor. It's easy to make − simply let it bubble away all day in your slow cooker and it'll be ready by dinnertime. Serve it on a cold, snowy night, and feel winter retreat with every bite!
Prep Time: 2 hour 10 minutes
Total Time: 6 hour 10 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups dry black beans (about 2/3 lb.)*
- 1 1/2 cups dry Great Northern beans (about 2/3 lb.)*
- 12 ounces cooked, smoked turkey sausage, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 can (8 oz.) no-added-salt tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt*
1. In Dutch oven combine black beans and Great Northern beans. Add 10 1/2 cups of cold water. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, for 1 hour. Drain. Rinse. Return beans to Dutch oven. Add 10 1/2 cups fresh water. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour or until beans are tender. Drain.*
2. In 5- to 6-quart crockery cooker combine beans and all remaining ingredeints. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 hours.
*NOTE: Save time by using 2 cans (15 oz. each) black beans, rinsed and drained, and 2 cans (15 oz. each) Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained, in place of the dry black beans, dry Great Northern beans and salt. When using canned beans,omit step 1 in the directions. Although higher in sodium, canned beans save time and provide plentiful fiber and protein.