Lemon Nut Tea Cake
Your grandma might remember this tangy, sweet cake from when she was a little girl. It's been a perennial favorite for decades.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups Kellogg's Corn Flakes® cereal Buy Now
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
1. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2. In large mixing bowl, beat the 1/2 cup margarine and the 1 1/4 cups sugar
until light and fluffy. Add eggs. Beat well. Stir in milk. Add flour mixture, mixing
until combined. Stir in the 1 tablespoon lemon peel, walnuts and KELLOGG'S
CORN FLAKES cereal. Pour into 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking pan coated with cooking
3. Bake at 325° F about 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center
comes out clean. Serve warm or cool with Tangy Lemon Sauce.
4. To make Tangy Lemon Sauce, in 1-quart saucepan, combine the 1/2 cup sugar,
cornstarch and water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils
and is thickened and clear. Remove from heat . Add the 3 tablespoons margarine,
the 1 teaspoon lemon peel and lemon juice, stirring until margarine melts. Set aside.