Break out the good china and serve these tangy bars with a cup of hot tea.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 cups Kellogg's Corn Flakes® cereal Buy Now
- or 1/2 cup Kellogg's® Corn Flake Crumbs Buy Now
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 egg, well-beaten
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
1. In medium mixing bowl, mix together margarine and brown sugar. Add
KELLOGG'S CORN FLAKES cereal, flour and the 1/2 teaspoon salt. Mix well.
Press 3/4 of the crumb mixture in bottom of 8 x 8-inch pan.
2. Mix granulated sugar, cornstarch, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt together
in top of double boiler. Add hot water gradually, stirring constantly. Cook over
hot water until thick and clear, stirring frequently.
3. Combine eggs and lemon juice. Slowly add small amount of hot mixture,
stirring constantly. Pour back into remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly.
Continue cooking and stirring about 1 minute longer. Cool.
4. When cool, pour lemon mixture into crumb-lined pan. Sprinkle with remaining
5. Bake at 350° F about 30 minutes or until lightly browned. When cool, cut
into squares and serve.