Leafy No-Noodle Lasagna
Seconds, please! A hearty mixture of ricotta cheese, brown rice and yummy All-Bran® cereal substitutes for noodles in this tasty vegetarian casserole. Layers of melt-in-your mouth mozzarella cheese, tangy tomato and rich, peppery collard greens complete the dish, which is topped with toasted almonds. A guest-worthy entrée that the entire family will love!
Prep Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 2 hour
- 2 large bunches (approximately 2 lbs.) collard greens
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3 cans (15 oz. each) tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 carton (15 oz., about 2 cups) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 cups Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- 2 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 package (8 oz, 2 cups) shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1. Remove root ends, center and imperfect leaves from greens. Wash several
times in cold water, lifting out each time. Drain. Cut greens crosswise into
1/2-inch strips. In 4-quart saucepan, bring 2 cups water to boil. Add greens.
Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Drain greens and blot dry. Set aside.
2. In large saucepan, saute garlic, green pepper and onion in oil. Stir in mushrooms,
tomato sauce and seasonings. Bring to boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and
simmer 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Set aside.
3. Mix together ricotta cheese and KELLOGG'S ALL-BRAN cereal until well blended.
Stir in rice. Set aside.
4. Cover bottom of 13 x 9 x 1 3/4-inch (3-quart) rectangular baking dish with one-third
tomato sauce mixture. Layer one-third greens over sauce. Cover with half cereal
mixture and half Mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers. Top with remaining greens and
sauce. Cover baking dish with foil.
5. Bake at 350° F about 45 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Let stand 15 minutes
before serving. Sprinkle with toasted almonds. Serve hot.