Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes® Apple-Flax Empanadas
These individual, hand-held pies are filled with a sweet apple-filling.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 3 small cooking apples, peeled and finely chopped (about 2 1/2 cups total)
Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes®cereal (crushed to 1/2 cup) Buy Now
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream or milk
- 10 frozen (5-inch) empanada wrappers, thawed*
- 1 tablespooon granulated sugar
1. In medium saucepan combine apples, KELLOGG’S FROSTED FLAKES cereal, butter, brown sugar, flax seeds, water, cinnamon, lemon juice and salt. Cook, covered, over medium heat, stirring frequently, about 6 minutes or until apples become tender and mixture begins to thicken. (If mixture starts to stick to pan, stir in 1 tablespoon additional water.) Remove from heat. Set aside.
2. In small bowl beat together egg and cream. Set aside.
3. Spoon scant 1/4 cup apple mixture onto center of each empanada wrapper. Brush edges with some of the egg mixture. Fold wrapper in half, completely enclosing apple filling. Use fork to crimp edges and prick top. Repeat with remaining apple mixture and empanada wrappers. Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
4. Brush tops of empanadas with the remaining egg mixture. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 350° F for 20 to 25 minutes or until light golden brown. Transfer to wire rack. Cool for 10 minutes. Serve warm. (Or, cool completely. Individually, wrap in plastic wrap. Place in air-tight container. Refrigerate for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.)
* If desired, substitute 1 package (14.1 oz., 2 crusts) refrigerated pie crusts for the empanada wrappers. Use cookie cutter to cut each crust into four 4- to 5-inch circles. Re-roll pie crust scraps and cut out two additional 4- to 5-inch circles, creating a total of 10 circles. Prepare as directed above.