Italian Meatball Sandwiches
Hearty meatball sandwiches make great-tasting fare after the big game.
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 jar (26 oz.) marinara sauce or meatless pasta sauce, divided
- 2/3 cup Kellogg's Corn Flakes® cereal Buy Now
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1/4 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 medium green or yellow bell pepper, halved, seeded and membrane removed
- 10 (6-inch) hoagie rolls
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese
1. In large bowl stir together egg and 1/3 cup of the marinara sauce. Stir in KELLOGG'S CORN FLAKE Crumbs, parsley, Italian seasoning, fennel and salt. Add beef and sausage. Mix well. Shape mixture into 40 meatballs, each about 1 1/4-inch. Place on rack of broiler pan coated with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes or until no longer pink (160 degrees F).* Transfer meatballs to large saucepan. Stir together remaining marinara sauce and red pepper. Pour over meatballs. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture boils. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes.
3. Thinly slice pepper halves. Horizontally split rolls. Spoon meatballs and sauce into rolls. Immediately top with mozzarella cheese and pepper slices.
*NOTE: Make meatballs ahead of time and bake as directed in recipe above. Cool for 10 minutes. Transfer to baking dish. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. To serve, continue as directed above, except simmer for 10 minutes.