Hot Pepper Bread
Cheddar and chili peppers combine in this loaf, creating a bread that complements chili or stew. Or, if you like, use it to make a turkey sandwich with zest.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 4 hour
- 5 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups Kellogg's Corn Flakes® cereal Buy Now
- or 1 cup Kellogg's® Corn Flake Crumbs Buy Now
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded, low-fat, low sodium sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped chili peppers
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
1. In large electric mixer bowl, combine 2 cups of the flour, KELLOGG'S CORN FLAKES cereal, sugar, salt and yeast. Set aside.
2. In small saucepan, heat milk and oil over low heat, until very warm (120-130° F). Gradually add to cereal mixture, beating on low speed until well combined. Add eggs. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in cheese, onions and chili peppers. By hand, stir in enough remaining flour to make stiff dough.
3. On well floured surface, knead dough about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the surface. Cover lightly. Let rise in warm place until double in volume (about 1 hour).
4. Punch dough down. Divide in half. Place into two 2-quart round casserole dishes coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise in warm place until double in volume.
5. Bake at 350° about 25 minutes or until golden brown. To prevent over browning, cover loosely with foil during last few minutes of baking. Remove loaves from dishes and cool on wire racks. Brush with melted margarine. Serve warm or cold.
Yield: 2 loaves, 12 slices each