Hearty Meatball Vegetable Soup
A terrific meal for chilly days. This soup features small meatballs, kidney beans, tomatoes, onions and carrots in a well-seasoned broth.
Prep Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (28 oz., 3 1/2 cups) whole peeled tomatoes, cut up
- 1 can (15 oz.) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 1/2 oz.) condensed beef broth (divided)
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (divided)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups Kellogg's® All-Bran® Complete® Wheat Flakes cereal Buy Now
- OR 1 cup Kellogg's® Frosted Mini-Wheats® Bite Size cereal Buy Now
- 1 pound lean ground beef
1. In 4- to 5-quart saucepan combine water, undrained tomatoes, kidney beans, 1 cup of the broth, onions, carrots, garlic, chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in large bowl combine egg, cereal, the remaining broth, the remaining salt and the remaining pepper. Add ground beef. Mix well. Shape into thirty-six 1-inch meat balls. Place on 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° F for 15 to 20 minutes or until no longer pink.
3. Add meatballs to vegetable mixture. Heat through. Serve hot.