Ham and Cheese Croquettes
Savory ham and cheese, spiced with bits of ground red pepper and dry mustard, are shaped into balls and fried until crisp and brown. Serve these appetizers warm.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hour 30 minutes
- 8 ounces lean ham, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/8 small onion
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 1/4 cups reduced-fat milk
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat milk
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 36 Keebler® Club® Original crackers Buy Now
- Vegetable oil for frying
1. In food processor bowl combine ham and onion. Cover and process until very finely chopped.
2. In medium saucepan melt butter. Stir in 1/4 cup flour, mustard and red pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat for 1 minute. Gradually stir in 1 1/4 cups milk. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until boiling and thickened. Gently boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese, a little at a time, until melted.
3. Stir ham mixture into cheese mixture. Pour into plastic-wrap-lined 8 x 4 x 2-inch loaf pan. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or until thoroughly chilled.
4. In shallow dish combine eggs and 2 tablespoons milk. Place 1/3 cup flour on one piece of wax paper. Place crushed KEEBLER CLUB Original crackers on another piece of wax paper. In large saucepan heat 2 inches of oil to 375°F.
5. Meanwhile, use plastic wrap to remove cheese mixture from pan. Using small ice cream scoop or wet hands, gently shape cheese mixture into twenty-four 1 1/2-inch balls. Carefully roll balls in flour. Use fork to dip balls in egg mixture, completely coating with egg mixture. Gently roll in crackers.
6. Carefully add balls to hot oil, 3 or 4 at a time. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown. Using slotted spoon, remove from oil. Place on plate lined with paper towels. Transfer to serving plate. Serve warm.