These gyros are inspired by the cuisine of Greece, where yogurt, mint, cucumber, garlic and lemon are popular ingredients. Try these sandwiches when you yearn for a Mediterranean entrée.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 2 (6-inch) whole wheat pita bread rounds, halved
- 1/2 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint or 1 teaspoon dried mint leaves
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup finely chopped, seeded cucumber
- 4 Morningstar Farms® Mediterranean Chickpea Burger Buy Now
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 to 8 thin slices tomato
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (1 oz.)
1. Use knife to open each pita half into pocket. Set aside. In small bowl stir together yogurt, mint, 1 teaspoon of the oil and salt. Stir in cucumber. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
2. Cut MORNINGSTAR FARMS Mediterranean Chickpea Burgers into 1/2-inch pieces. Set aside.
3. In large nonstick skillet cook onion and garlic in the remaining 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat about 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in marjoram, rosemary and pepper. Add burger pieces and lemon juice. Cook and gently stir over medium-high for 2 to 4 minutes or until heated through.
4. Place 1 to 2 tomato slices in each pita pocket, if desired. Spoon burger mixture into pockets. Top with feta cheese. Serve immediately with yogurt mixture as dipping sauce.