Gingerbread with Lemon Sauce
Classic, but better! Yes, we love sweet, spicy gingerbread ? and yes, we love it topped with a gorgeous, tangy lemon sauce. But we love it best of all with fiber from All-Bran® cereal. It's the perfect afternoon treat.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Complete® Wheat Flakes cereal Buy Now
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
1. Stir together flour, salt, baking powder, soda and spices; set aside.
2. In large mixing bowl, thoroughly combine sugar, oil, egg whites and
molasses. Add water and cereal; mix well. Stir in flour mixture, mixing until
combined. Spread evenly in lightly greased 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking pan.
3. Bake at 350°F about 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near
center comes out clean. Serve warm or cold with Lemon Sauce.
4. To make Lemon Sauce: In 2-quart saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch.
Add water, stirring until mixture is smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring
constantly, until mixture thickens and begins to boil. Continue cooking and
stirring 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon peel and juice.
Serve warm over Gingerbread.