This is gingerbread just as you remember it − moist, sweet, and aromatic with the warm, rich scents of molasses, cinnamon and ginger. But our version improves on your old favorite, with a healthful boost of fiber from All-Bran® cereal. Serve it in the autumn, warm from the oven, topped with a dollop of freshly whipped cream.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup light molasses
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- or 3/4 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Bran Buds® cereal Buy Now
1. Stir together flour, baking powder, soda, salt and spices. Set aside.
2. In large mixing bowl, beat shortening and sugar until thoroughly combined. Add eggs. Beat well. Stir in molasses.
3. Pour boiling water over KELLOGG'S ALL-BRAN cereal. Stir into shortening mixture. Add flour mixture, stirring until batter is smooth. Spread in 9 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray and lined with waxed paper in the bottom.
4. Bake at 350° F about 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cut into squares and serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.