Ginger Lemon Trifle
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- 1 package (14.5 oz.) gingerbread mix
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 6 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons magarine or butter, cut up
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 packages
- 1 cup macadamia nuts, toasted* (optional)
1. Bake gingerbread according to package directions. Cool completely.
2. In medium saucepan combine 1 cup sugar and cornstarch. Stir in water, lemon juice and lemon peel. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium until mixture thickens and boils.
3.Gradually stir about half of hot mixture into egg yolks. Return egg yolk mixture to mixture in saucepan. Cook and stir until mixture begins to boil. Boil gently for 1 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in margarine or butter pieces until melted. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
4. In chilled mixing bowl beat cream, 2 tablespoons sugar and vanilla on medium speed of electric mixer until soft peaks form.
5. Coarsely crush cookies. Cut gingerbread into cubes. In sixteen individual dessert dishes layer half of gingerbread cubes, lemon mixture, whipped cream, cookies and toasted nuts (if desired). Repeat layers. Store in refrigerator for no more than 12 hours.
*NOTE: To toast nuts spread evenly on baking sheet. Bake at 350°F for 5 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown, stirring once or twice.