Frijoles Borrachos Recipe
This delicious bean soup gets a spicy kick from canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. If time is short, make it using canned beans instead of dried (see recipe note).
Prep Time: 2 hour 15 minutes
Total Time: 2 hour 25 minutes
- 2 1/3 cups dried pinto beans
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 packages (24 oz. total)
- 2 cups seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 2 canned chipotle chili peppers in adobo, chopped
- 1 bottle (12 oz.) nut brown ale beer or other brown ale beer
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup garlic puree*
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or maple sugar
- 10 Kellogg's® Eggo® Homestyle waffles Buy Now
- Sour cream
1. In Dutch oven combine 7 cups water and beans. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, for 1 hour. Drain. Rinse. Return beans to Dutch oven. Add 7 cups fresh water, onion and 3 cloves garlic. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until beans are tender.**
2. In 12-inch skillet combine MORNINGSTAR FARMS MEAL STARTERS GRILLERS RECIPE CRUMBLES, tomatoes and chipotle peppers. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Stir into bean mixture. Stir in beer, cilantro, garlic puree, vinegar, oregano and brown sugar. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 to 20 minutes or until beans reach desired texture.
3. Serve with KELLOG'S EGGO Homestyle waffles and sour cream (if desired).
*Note: To make your own garlic puree, peel off outer dry leaves from 2 small heads garlic, leaving skin of cloves intact. Use knife to cut off the top 1/4- to 1/2-inch pointed portions of heads, leaving bulbs intact, but exposing individual cloves. Place, cut side up, in small baking dish. Drizzle with oil. Bake at 400°F for 25 to 35 minutes or until cloves feel soft when pressed. Cool slightly. Press garlic from individual cloves. Mash pulp with fork or process in small food processor. You should have about 1/4 cup.
**Note: If desired, you may substitute 3 (15 oz. each) cans of pinto beans for the dried beans. Simply drain and rinse the canned beans. In Dutch oven combine beans, 7 cups of water, onion and 3 cloves of garlic. Bring to boiling. Remove from heat. Set aside. Continue with steps 2 and 3 of the recipe.