Fresh Apple Cake
Does your family always get the fiber it needs? The full cup of All-Bran® cereal baked into this tasty apple cake can help. Bursting with the tang and texture of fresh apples, it's always sure to please.
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 2 hour 25 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups finely chopped, peeled apples
- 1 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- or 1 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Bran Buds® cereal Buy Now
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
1. Stir together flour, soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
2. In medium mixing bowl, beat together the 1/2 cup margarine and the 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs. Beat well. Stir in apples, KELLOGG'S ALL-BRAN cereal and flour mixture, stirring until thoroughly combined.. Spread evenly in 9 x 9 x 2-inch
baking pan coat with cooking spray.
3. Bake at 350° F about 1 hour or until cake begins to pull away from sides of pan.
4. While cake is baking, measure 1 tablespoon flour into small saucepan. Add
1/4 cup milk, stirring until smooth. Cook over low heat until bubbly and thickened,
stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Cool completely.
5. In small mixing bowl, beat 1/4 cup margarine and 1/4 cup sugar until light and
fluffy. Add cooled flour mixture and beat until light and sugar has dissolved. Once
cake is cooled, spread with Fluffy Frosting. Cut into squares to serve.
If Fluffy Frosting appears curdled, continue beating until smooth.