Family Favorite Chili
This chili is equally fabulous whether meaty or 100% vegetarian. Either way, it's a savory, spicy, south-of-the-border specialty that's just right for your next big game party. Serve it over rice or noodles, topped with grated cheese, chopped avocado, and cilantro for a hearty and festive one-dish meal.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) kidney beans
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
1. In 4-quart saucepan, cook beef, turkey, onions and green pepper over medium heat, stirring frequently, until meat is no longer pink. Drain off fat and liquid.
2. Stir KELLOGG'S ALL-BRAN cereal and remaining ingredients into meat mixture. Bring to boil, stirring frequently. Cover and reduce heat to low. Cook 1 hour longer, stirring frequently. Remove bay leaf before serving. Yield: 7 cups, 7 servings
For vegetarian chili, omit both beef and turkey. Add 1 can (15.5 oz.) great northern beans. Place all ingredients in 4-quart saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring frequently. cover and reduce heat to low. Cook 1 hour longer, stirring frequently. Remove bay leaf before serving.
Yield: 6 1/2 cups