Extra Special Turkey Stuffing
This stuffing may be simple, but there is nothing plain about it. Pork sausage, celery, poultry seasoning and onion join Keebler® Town House® Original crackers as essential ingredients in this classic version.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 2 hour 50 minutes
- 1 pound Keebler® Town House® Original crackers Buy Now
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley leaves
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 ounces bulk pork sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter, melted
- 1/2 to 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 10- to 12-pound turkey
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1. Slightly break up crackers. In large bowl combine crackers, celery, parsley, poultry seasoning and pepper. In large skillet cook sausage and onion until sausage is no longer pink. Drain off fat. Stir into cracker mixture along with eggs and margarine or butter. Drizzle with 1/2 cup of chicken broth. Toss to combine.
2. Lightly stuff body cavity of turkey with 2 cups of cracker mixture (do not pack). Pull neck skin to back. Fasten with skewer. Tie legs to tail. Twist wing tips under back. Insert meat thermometer into center of inside thigh muscle (do not touch bone). Place, breast side up, on rack in shallow pan. Brush surface with oil.
3. Toss remaining stuffing with 1/4 to 1/2 cup of remaining chicken broth. Place in 1 1/2-quart casserole coated with nonstick cooking spray. Cover and refrigerate until ready to bake.
4. Roast turkey at 325°F for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until thermometer reads 180°F and center of stuffing is at least 165°F. Cover with foil, if necessary, during last 30 minutes of roasting to prevent overbrowning. Place casserole of stuffing in oven beside turkey during the last 45 minutes of baking.
5. Let turkey stand for 15 minutes before carving.